Saturday, November 11, 2006

Woah!!

Today.. was a freaky day.

I went for community service at an old folk's home.

I drove mum's CR-V to Sunway College to supposedly rendezvous with my classmates, but ended up driving (and terrorizing) 4 of them, while 2 more followed behind (both, whom i assume, were vomiting blood throughout the journey).

The chaotic journey began with me, the car, Old Bean, Yeah Man, Kang Wei and Mojojoseph bouncing over the multitude of bumps that littered the roads leading to and fro Sunway College. Minutes later we were caught in a sickening traffic jam on the LDP, which was overflowing with cars. Old Bean, who was giving directions, led me on various roads I have and have not driven on until we reached Petaling Jaya's Old Town. Oh. And I got lots of horrified remarks during the car-ride, most of them from Old Bean. Stuff like "not so close to that treeee!!" and "chill, wei shiarn. chill" and "I’m gonna puke" and "don't go so close to the curb!" Was quite a nightmare.

The home GT Heritage Home was a truly elusive place. It is situated on 2/29. We went round and round in circles in that housing area in Old Town and found 2/27, 2/28, 2/30 but no 29… Eventually Old Bean got hold of some Sister Mary's number and she directed us to the home, which is just a bungalow with a little less than a dozen people residing in it.

2/29's entrace was partially barred by this awful rapist van and an old rusted cream-coloured Mini. Being the newbie driver I was, I couldn't get through the small gap. After much reversing and braking, I was stuck and blocked the route. So I employed the expertise of Kang Wei to deftly weave the car through the gap. And of course, during the process, the couple Yin Fan + Chow Lin following behind were repeatedly honked by annoyed drivers.

The person in charge of the old folk's home was this irritable woman whom i referred to as Miss Mdm Woman Lady and Leng Lui. Her name, we later discovered, was Audrey Santiago, and she told us to paint the walls at the rear part of the home. Bahh! I was expecting to have some insightful and pleasant conversations with kindly elderly people who would tell us about the horrifying WW2 and possibly the cruel Japanese during the Jap Occupation, or to have a refreshing game of chess with skilled old people, but no. We had to paint walls. Grotesque greying walls stuck with bits of green moss and lizard dung.

But I have to admit.. Painting is rather fun, even more so when you get to hear Kang Wei squealing every now and then for dripping paint either on his face, nose, or shirt. Eventually we managed to cover 3 walls and a stretch of drain cover (as in penutup longkang) and scored 3 hours of community hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment