Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cakes!!

To me, there are two cupcake spectrums.

The looks spectrum (attractive on 1 end, ugly on the other),
and of course
the taste spectrum (divine on 1 end, suck ass on the other).

Both completely subjective, of course. You know la. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Taste is on tongue... of the... betaster? xD




D'lish again. I have a fatal attraction to D'lish's desserts. They always look mesmerizing, luring me into the evil witch's gingerbread house who will feed me and then eat me.

Except, there aren't evil villainesses waiting for me inside. Unless, it's the Diabolic Devil of Diabetia, and the Queen of Heart Attacks. Time to schedule my medical checkup.

Anyway. Red Velvet. I've never tried a red velvet cake before. I've seen some captivating pictures of them like the one below.

By fatboybakes. Mmm. Looks not bad, right anot?

So when i saw the cream-cheese-turded red velvet cupcakes sitting in the display. I had to order one.

Sis says the best way to eat a cupcake is with a spoon. Couldn't agree more, especially one with a tall frosting.

Honestly, the red velvet cupcake was quite a disaster. Bleargh. Cream cheese is not too bad, a tad too dense. The cupcake itself was horrendous. Dry and sticky and sorta chewy. Bad combination. And the cream cheese frosting was too overwhelming and it was all that i tasted. V. bad buy.

So far the first disappointment i got from D'lish. Still... Red cupcake, quite magnificent. If you ignore the fact that it looks like shit. Ha! ;)

More D'lish cupcakes. The snowball and the vanilla.

My nephews will definitely love the vanilla one with all the sprinkly stars and moons. :)

And it was absolutely delicious. Hideously coloured, yes, but D'lish! The cake was velvety, and moist, and made even more so by the butter frosting. Mm mm.

Have blogged about the snowball before. With umbrella. Tastes just as good, with a thinner and coarser layer of frost with coconut flakes. But uh... I made a mistake by eating both cupcakes back to back and i was a tad too cloyed by the vanilla to enjoy the snowball.

Now. Time for cakes.

I might have mentioned fatboybakes before, baker of the red velvet. It so happened that Heko knows him through her food writing career and ordered me a durian cheesecake for my 21st birthday.

May not look spectacular, but the taste was... nothing short of godly. Orgasmic, i tell you. I had slice upon secret slice (sneaking into the kitchen at 5am) because it was that irresistible.

Slice of heaven. I wonder how he does it. I mean man! The durian taste was so rich and dense and perfectly whacked into the cheese that it's light and creamy. Bloody fatboybakes. He sure knows how to work his baking magic. At least that's the impression i got from my first purchase. No buyer's remorse whatsoever.

Now. Am in search of one of my latest cravings. Will post when i get my hands on 'em

No comments:

Post a Comment