Monday, January 26, 2009

Frames

Gong Xi Fa Chai, to my handful of readers. :D

*brushes aside spider-webs and an inch of dust*

Three days late, but i haven't had anything super interesting to report, apart from the fact that my red-packeted income has decreased, by a freaking lot, i might say! Exponentially!

Anyway, i finally forced myself to finish the following post, which i had been periodically updating since two weeks ago:

***
I'd been hankering for a visit to Frames after reading Yvonne Woi's review.

An opportunity finally presented itself when we went to see Yes Man! (which was hilarious by the way, though it paled in comparison with Get Smart).


Tada! Frames! At night, the "Frames" signboard is backlit with a luminous neon blue, and will definitely catch your eye when you drive by.

Unfortunately, I chose a time of day that diminished the attractiveness of the signboard.

The interior has a white-black-purple minimalist design, with frames of varying sizes adorning the walls. Funky.

Purple cushions and mini bolsters. Purple, i like. The cushions were super lumpy though and the mini bolsters kept rolling off the seat. -_-"

Starters. Fried calamari. Thumbs up for the calamari. The batter was fantastically crunchy and flavourful. The calamari ring itself was fairly tender, which is good news because nobody likes rubber-band calamari.

Dipping sauce was some sorta mayonnaise with a bit of buttery taste to it. Not too shabby. The calamari serving is rather large for a starter (and for 14 bucks), so you have my recommendation.

My Mushroom Mascarpone. It arrived emitting the most marvellous aroma, a sorta balsamic vinegar smell to it. Sad to say it was a slight disappointment. I wouldn't say it tasted bad, but just a tad too bland for me. Didn't really meet my expectations.

I mean, come on! Mascarpone!! The word mascarpone. Triple cream cheese used in tiramisu. Supposed to taste milky, creamy and soft. But the Mushroom Mascarpone wasn't creamy enough. Apart from that, the mushrooms were quite OK. Three types of mushrooms. I liked the chopped walnuts tossed into pasta. Provided extra crunch to it.

Next up is a pasta that i would most definitely return to Frames for. Nico's Italian Herbs. Chicken cubes, beef bacon and herbs tossed together. Divine, i tell ya. Incredibly heavy taste, perfect if you like strong flavours. As it is olive oil based, it is not as cloying as pasta carbonara. Quite excellent.

DY's House Bunny Chicken. Grilled chicken topped with some sorta carrot veloute or whatever you call it. I didn't manage to try this, but DY said it was quite alright.

YZ's fish and chips. I generally frown upon Fish and Chips, but oh well... I didn't order it. It was of a sufficient serving. Nothing too exciting about the fish. I liked the way the tartar sauce was presented, stuffed within a tomato.

All in all, my dining experience at Frames was decent. I would return to sample that melted cheese fries thingy!

No comments:

Post a Comment