Thursday, July 31, 2008

Solitude

Would it be too insane to say that sometimes i wish i could just disappear to some secluded place void of people and their incessant chatter, where i could just sit there and finish my sandwich (or whatever).

I want my fortress of solitude! Though not, of course, in the arctic as too damn far and inhabitable climate. I was picturing some sort of picnic-brochure-esque field or even an empty room, in which i could be completely bone idle and nobody would see or talk to me.

Last year after law tutorials i had to wait for YZ to finish his class and i would wander around Monash searching for a place of seclusion. And i found it, at the fifth floor stairwell outside the lecturer's office.

There are at least three staircases that lead up to the fifth-floor, only one of them leads to the staffroom entrance and the rest will bring curious wanderers (like me) face to face with locked doors right outside the staffroom. Nobody goes up the latter stairs as the lift provided a speedy alternative to the tedious ascension of 5 flights of stairs.

So these were the places where i spent my 1 hour wait. On the fifth floor of building 6. Sitting there (only in the late afternoon, burning hot on other times of the day) amidst the rhythmic clanging of construction work and the slight dustiness of the air, i found some semblance of solitude.

I'm not a hermit, and i like to be in the company of people, but there are times when i just want to be alone for a while.

***
On a more normal topic, Ergun Dogan is totally driving me nuts. I was so bored that i actually paid attention to the vaguely interesting girl-talk behind me on 300 ringgit straw handbags and Mid Valley boutiques. Geeez! I tried recording his voice (i had loads of fun recording Marketingdinghooi's feeble "OK? Ok anot? Ei. OK anot? Give me some response") but even that didn't work.

It's bad to have a boring lecturer who talks about difficult topics (at least you will try to listen for the sake of understanding said difficult topic), it is even worse when you have a boring one who teaches stuff that has already been taught. His spent a whole 10 mins explaining about demand curves and what not and i just can't stand it anymore. Will be presenting Econ Growth Theories with the charismatic Charisma, and after today... Bye bye to Friday classes. Am so not coming to Dogan's Friday lecture anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment