Friday, February 27, 2009

Gasthaus!

I celebrated my birthday at Deutsches Gasthaus.

Sigh. Am no longer a teen (characterized by the fact that my age, now, has no -teen suffix to it).

X(

I was hit with a sudden craving for sausages, and as luck would have it, there is a Deutsches Gasthaus branch just 4 streets away from my house.

Sausage platter. I'm not sure about this platter. It's been quite some time since i had german sausages, and if my memory still serves me right, the ones at El Cerdo and Jarrod and Rawlins tasted better.

They had this juicy-until-wanna-burst-out-of-skin sorta quality, which was just crazy divine. The ones above were quite delicious, but had already been sliced to resemble quadruple-tentacled octopuses (octopi sounds weird).

Pork Knuckle! Freakin' huge knuckle, i must say. The skin was a tad hard, crunchy yes, but hard. Meat was delightfully tender, and flavourful to boot. This one's better than the one at El Cerdo, i'm afraid. Not bad, not bad. Served with this slightly salty sauce, potatoes, mustard and greens.

Apparently, when my parents went to Germany, the people there are able to each devour a pork knuckle. Scary.

Spanish seafood paella. This dish is good, by my standards. Dad didn't like it. Oh well. He's a chef. I bet he can do better, but who cares? The paella was incredibly fragrant, no doubt due to the saffron. What i like about it is the large grains of rice used. Seafood used was okok la, not the freshest. Somehow i kept thinking that it was risotto instead, as they're similar.

Pork chop with red wine sauce thingy. I consider ordering this a mistake. The texture of the pork chop was kinda strange; it was too thick that it was tasteless near the middle and it was soft but chewy. Not too good. The sauce, however, was delicious. Definitely not what i had expected of "red wine sauce" as it tasted exactly like marinara sauce. Good nonetheless, just right for marinara sauce, not too salty not too sour.

Aha! Hoegaarden. I'll definitely take this over other beer, not that i like beer of course but that's besides the point. Hoegaarden lacks the bitter aftertaste present in beers that i hate. So hurray.

Am not a beer pro so i can't really comment on the "body" and the "balance" and "hints of walnut coloured fruitiness in the palate" or whatever terminology they have for beer tasting.

I like the ambience of the place. Dark, cozy and woody.

My parents and I. People who have posed with me for pictures should know that i absolutely suck at posing for photos. I can't seem to have a smile plastered on my face for a minute or so. There you have it. My unopened eyes. xD

Dad looks really funny in this picture. I have to post this. :D

***
Tada! Kek ku, courtesy of Sis. Enormous oreo cheese cake from Marmalade, which is some sorta cafe not unlike Delicious cafe. Pay them a visit in Mont Kiara / Bangsar Village II if you like. They have quite a number of good reviews online.

Mum had this idea to put the cake inside a flower basket, which was quite nutty as the oreo crumbs on top fell all over the carpet and on table and inside basket as well.

Nyahaha! This picture is super hilarious! And retarded. I look as if i have a flower on my head. xD

Sigh... Glorious glorious oreo cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment