Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Allergy

Suffered a major prawn allergy reaction just now... and let's just say it wasn't one of the best experiences one would want to have.

I've always had a mild allergy to prawns, and the resultant effect of a quick taste ranges from swollen lips, even more swollen lips, and some itchy esophagus (fucking uncomfortable). But circumstances were a little more fuddled today as i was having sore throat + cough + flu (the type with horrendous green cendol-like snot and mucus) so i took a Mucinex expectorant to help clear the incredibly viscous nasal goo.

Now due to my sore throat and general discomfort within my oral orifice i let me guard down and polished off a plate of mum's incredibly delicious prawns. Polished as in sitting the scrumptious prawns in my mouth and allowing the fantastic taste envelop my tastebuds.. Ahhh~!

And once i'd finished i knew something was off, as my throat started feeling strange and itchy and i lost my voice. After a few moments i could feel a part of my throat swollen and whenever i gulped or swallowed anything there was some serious chafing against the back of my throat.

AND the expectorant chose that precise moment to kick into effect, sending my coughing reflexes into overdrive to expel phlegm. I couldn't swallow without some major friction, and my chest was heaving from my attempts to suppress my cough, and that was torture.

Each raspy cough sent spasms of pain to my lungs, which led to more coughing, and consequently more pain and it was all i could do to stop the coughs. 

Mum was stunned and she flew us over to Dr Teh at Uptown, as it was the nearest practice she knew. I walked into the clinic, wheezing like mad and startling this patient who was paying for her prescription. 

So now, i'm back home after popping some anti-histamines, steroid pills and inhaling a bunch of steroids. My throat is raw from the chafing, but am feeling a whole lot better now. Nose is clear, chest no longer throbbing. I have with me a prescription of throat spray, a Turbohaler, some anti-histamines and more steroids. Life is good, huh.

All in all quite a new experience, albeit a bad one. But at least i know what to expect next time. Am thankful,and lucky to have survived. A tad dramatic but at least my allergy was a mild one. According to Dr T, severely allergic patients could have their entire face swell up like a bee hive, trachea closed up and boom! You're dead..


P.S. Never touch prawns ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment