Friday, January 28, 2011

Swan

Question of the Day: Just how much are you willing to sacrifice to achieve (perceived) perfection?


Interesting, isn't it?

I just saw Black Swan yesterday and it was beautiful, seeing that it's ballet all... But in an eerie and grotesque kinda way.

Quick digression: Is it me or does Natalie Portman look a hell lot like Keira Knightley? OK did a quick google search, and a lot of people think so too. :D


Anyway, now, back to Black Swan. I think it raises the question "Just how much are you willing to sacrifice on your way to perfection?" Just how much of sanding off the rough edges is needed to truly achieve one's goals?

Like Nina Sayers, she sanded off her sanity, went completely off her rocker and that was when things started going bat crap crazy and the hallucinations came left right and centre. I think the same thing happened to Tony Leung when he took the role of a undercover cop in Infernal Affairs. Got too immersed in the role to give a flawless performance, but i guess it takes a toll on your mind and he started having breakdowns after filming.


Honestly... I dunno. I'm not ruthless enough to trample my family and friends to get whatever I want. Then again, i can't be too sure what exactly it is i want. Sigh... I'm confusing myself as usual.


I have to commend Natalie Portman's performance, though. But maybe because i like the whole goodie two shoes turning evil sorta theme. Her gradual descent into insanity was captivating, but... not as insane as i would like it to be.

Also, Lily, the other chick, didn't pose as much of a threat as i would have liked, i.e. she didn't actually usurp the Swan Queen crown; she was selected as the alternative. I mean if she backstabbed her way into the role with evil intentions, and Nina went all crazy because of it, it'll be more... dramatic.

All in all, a captivating movie. Sad. and Dark. And thought-provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment